1. Unique Things to do in Sicily: Stay at Hotel Gutkowski in SyracuseHotel Gutkowski is a fantastic find. It is very reasonably priced at 110 pounds for a double it is beautifully minimalist. The location is fantastic – just on the edge of lovely Ortygia and across from the waterfront. The restaurant has a great restaurant where you can get dinner and a fab breakfast. The Hotel Gutkowski breakfast was the highlight of the breakfasts on my Sicily trip. Super fresh local ingredients – tomatoes to die for, freshly boiled eggs, amazing juice and great coffee. The rooms are lovely – minimalists and clean and as I was there in August I particularly appreciated the fantastic air conditioning. They have a great terrace where they serve Granite in the afternoon. I would highly recommend heading to some of the foodie/deli shops nearby and grabbing some local wine and cheese and meat and having pre-dinner drinks on the terrace – it is lovely. The staff are very friendly and were very helpful in organizing transfers, walking tour options, Sicily tours and trips. And lovely Syracuse is a UNESCO world heritage site as well!
2. Best Things to do in Sicily: Go shopping in TaorminaOne of the top 10 things to do in Sicily is to go shopping! Taormina is definitely the place to go shopping in Sicily. It has a fantastic mix of classic Italian names you know like Furla and Coccinelle and super cute local stores filled with handmade shoes and handbags. The main street is really one of the best places to visit in Sicily – I didn’t find as many good stores in the back streets. Handbags and purses are the things to buy here. My favourite was Serapian where I got a stunning matching handbag and purse. The upside of visiting Taormina in the heat of August was that there were quite a few sales on. There are also many places to stock up on tasty Sicilian food products such as olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
⇒ Find out more about Taormina in my post about Where to Stay in Sicily.
3. What to do in Sicily: Take an early evening stroll around town wherever you areOne of my favourite things to see in Sicily is the nightly promenade. I love how the Italians frock up and look fantastic – immaculately groomed and tailored and with such attitude. They seem to treat the main streets like a catwalk – and it is all ages.
⇒ Plan your trip with my Sicily Itinerary
4. Best Things to do in Sicily: Eat Ricotta and CannoliOh my gosh the ricotta in Sicily! I made it a goal to have ricotta at every main meal and I did pretty well in delivering! Hotel Gutkowski will help you get started with fresh ricotta on the breakfast buffet. Try it with some of the fresh honey and mix it up with some eggs. Then at lunch try it on pizza with some Sicilian aubergine – fantastic combination. Dinner means ricotta cannoli – one of the best things that I have ever eaten. The food is amazing in Sicily – it is one of the best food places I have ever been. But don’t limit yourself. Make sure you have every possible flavour of cannoli – chocolate, vanilla, pistachio. It is a genuine tourist experience so don’t be shy! When it comes to things to do in Syracuse Sicily eating the local Cannoli should be high on your list!
⇒ For another off the beaten track great foodie destination in Europe check out my post on 9 Foodie Things to do in Latvia
5. Top Things to do in Sicily: Climb Mt EtnaMt Etna is stunning and definitely, a Sicily must-see. I originally planned to climb Mt Etna – however, the August weather put me off. Having said that I had of course forgotten that you start the climb quite a bit above sea level where it was much cooler and this would have been fine. Indeed I saw many people climbing from the cable car. However, it looked very steep and the scenery quite same same so not sure how interesting a trek it would have been. Anyway, whether you climb Mt Etna or not it is still one of the top sights in Sicily and one of the major Sicily tourist attractions. The bus took me up to the base of Mt Etna with a stop for Sicilian food products on the way. Once there you take a cable car and then a small bus up to the summit. From here you can wander the summit on your own.
⇒ Another great area to visit in Southern Italy is Puglia. Check out my post on the 7 Best Places to Visit in PugliaMt Etna is quite stunning. The summit itself is an unusual and very photogenic landscape. There are also some fantastic views over Sicily. It is very light physically – just wear fairly sensible shoes. After checking out the summit you then head back down the same way. I was back at the main bus station in Taormina by mid-afternoon.
6. What to do in Sicily: Boat trip to StromboliBoat Trips are number one Sicily points of interest when it comes to what to do on the Aeolian Islands! You can visit all the islands, you can hop on the main ferry, you can pretty much go anywhere – again spoilt for choice is the theme of these islands! I had recently done a full-day boat trip in Corsica which was rather crowded so was in the mood for something that wasn’t a 9-5 commitment with 100 other people. We wanted to go mid-afternoon, to just go to Stromboli, and of course to be able to have some wine! We headed down to the Malfa port and just asked. It wasn’t cheap but we were in a group of 4 so we could split things (was about 280 euros). When it comes to the best beaches in Sicily I was keen to see the black beaches of Stromboli! We headed out mid-afternoon. Going to Stromboli means you get to sail past some of the other islands. We stopped on the coast of stromboli and jumped off the boat into some of the loveliest clearest water I have ever swum in. The boat took us to Stromboli about one hour before sunset. We saw its startling black beaches, the home of Dolce and Gabbana was pointed out to us (very important) and we got to have a wander around stromboli which is lovely. And of course, we had a cocktail before returning to the boat! Once back on the boat dinner was served – very impressive to serve pasta on such a small boat! Oh, and of course we had some wine! We then settled in to watch the volcano bubbling away. It was a bit difficult to see but we did see something! As we were there in August and it was very hot I had decided against climbing to the top of the volcano (there are many day trips that offer this from Salina). I was then quite jealous of the head torches I could see as we were in our boat. If the weather was cooler I think this would be a great thing to do. When it comes to where to go in Sicily, Stromboli is one of the highlights! We were back in port and a quick stroll to the hotel by about 10 pm – a lovely lovely experience.
7. Things to do in Sicily Italy: Eat at Hotel Signum Malfa Salina The Aeolian IslandsI ended up eating at Hotel Signum twice. First was a bit of a lunch recce visit to check it out – and it looked amazing and did a mean simple lunch. So we all headed back for a big 3-course dinner extravaganza at Hotel Signum and it was fantastic! The restaurant atmosphere is wonderful – we sat outside and it is quite magical. The service as fantastic – we ended up Facebook friends with the manager! The food at Hotel Signum was amazing – simple wonderful clean flavours. However, the highlight was the Malvasia wine. I had been dying to try this famous dessert wine since arriving on Salina. This was the place to do it! There was almost a ceremony in the pouring of the wine and it was absolutely delicious! Do not leave the Aeolian Islands without trying this wonderful dessert wine!
⇒ If you’re looking for another beautiful place to visit in Italy you’ll enjoy my post on 14 instagrammable things to do in Rimini and around Rimini
8. Sicily Things to do: Have a Granite in LinguaLingua is a tiny town on the island of Salina. There is a bus that goes around the island and leaves once an hour so we hopped on this for the scenic 30 minute trip to Lingua from Malfa. I have to say there isn’t a lot in Lingua – a cute little waterfront that is worth a stroll. But we had heard all about the famous Granite so we, of course, had to go! And it was fantastic! There were SO many flavours! Again the first world problem of too many fantastic options in the Aeolian Islands reared its head!
9. Things to do in Sicily: Have a sunset drink at the Hotel Santa Isabel terrace bar Malfa Salina The Aeolian IslandsWhen it comes to what to see in Sicily a sunset is key – and this is THE bar to go to for a sunset drink! The view is absolutely stunning. It is a lovely outdoor bar with cocktails and a nice wine list. And best of all they put on some very tasty snacks! It is usually quite busy but you should still score a seat – definitely the place to go and watch the sun come down in the Aeolian Islands! The perfect final activity of anyone’s Sicily holidays.
More Boutique Hotels in SicilySicily has quite a few gorgeous boutique hotels in addition to the two I have already mentioned: Another great option on the waterfront in Syracuse is Approdo Delle Sirene. Gagliardi Boutique Hotel. Capofaro Villa Carlotta Ashbee Hotel
Getting to Sicily and Getting AroundTo access all of the above cities the most convenient airport is Catania. Palermo is on the other side of the island but if you want to hire a car it is also an option. Check out cheap flights to both here: hiring a car whilst in Sicily to get around. And if you’re already in Italy did you know you can also get a train to Sicily?
Sicily Tourism & ToursIf you’re looking for some serious adrenaline check out these Activities to do in Sicily from Adrenaline Hunter Travelling Solo? Why not check out these organised tour options:
⇒ Looking for some travel inspiration? Itineraries not only help you plan a trip they can also help you to figure out where you want to go next. Check out my itineraries for Austria, Nova Scotia in Canada, Colombia, Chile, Nepal, Namibia, Jordan, Turkey, Scotland and Korea.
Who Paid for What in this PostI covered all of the costs associated with this post. This post does contain affiliate links. That means if you click through on some of the links and make a purchase I will receive a small commission. I wanted to make sure you were aware of this.
READ NEXT: WHERE TO STAY IN SICILYLike this post? Why Not Pin It?